Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Visiting Teaching

Here's a copy of a letter I wrote to the same friend about the visiting teaching program in Relief Society, the organization for women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.


Dear Friend,

This week I was asked to share with you some thoughts on being a wife and mother…

I married my husband when I was nineteen. I had not seen many good marriages growing up. So, it took a lot of faith for me to marry, especially for eternity.

I knew that it was Heavenly Father’s will that I marry and have a family. So, when the time came I took the leap. I continue in that faith today. Marriage is teaching me how to love, be selfless, be humble, be faithful, work together, be obedient, be loved and to trust in the Lord.
I’ve received great strength from my husband. Of course, he can help me in the garden and get a lot done, but he’s also a source of spiritual strength. His faithfulness gives me strength to hang in there when times are hard. His good counsel guides me and helps me to find my way. His encouragement lifts me when I’m down. When he holds my hand I feel secure. When he smiles at me I feel beautiful.

One of my favorite things about being a wife is having someone to do something special for.
The thought of becoming a mother brought with it many reservations. I was worried that I would not have the patience or the dedication necessary to give my children a good home. Childbirth also frightened the dickens out of me. That’s when I held on to the blessings promised in my patriarchal blessing and in the temple. It was another leap of faith. God held true to his promises!

I love being apart of my children’s lives. As a mother, you’re the coach in their young lives. When they stumble you’re there. When they fly you’re there too. Motherhood can be very difficult at times but they’re so worth it!

I have a testimony of temple marriage. It’s worth the study of a lifetime. Everything Heavenly Father asks us to do is for a wise purpose. As we follow his teachings we draw nearer to him and will become more like him. Becoming a righteous wife and mother is truly a noble calling and birthright. Nothing in this world can better prepare us to enter into the presence of our Heavenly Father.

With Great Love and Affection,

Cindy

No comments: