I'm currently building raised garden beds.
BUILDING
supplies;
compost
vermiculite
peat moss
jig saw
2"x6"x8' boards (3 to a box)
1/4"x36" all thread-plated metal rods (1 to a box)
My first bed was made from red garden poles and 20" stakes (18" are recommended). I worried that it just wasn't sturdy enough plus I've a grudge against the poles after they stained the interior of my van. So, I purchased 2"x6"x8' Douglas fir (2"x8" are recommended) and began again. I do wish I would have went with my initial desire for 2"x8"s but I'm optimistic.
They look nice and they should hold up. My son, Nathan, found a source for pre-made raised beds online. They were built tongue and groove with pins in the corners. So, that's what I'm doing. Extra Large nails would be easier but I went for cheap and cut my own metal rods.
I'm happy with how the beds are coming together. I'm even trying the same technique on the leftover red poles. I returned the uncut poles.
This project is fun but is taking a lot of hard labor. It's been a great way of getting my body used to physical labor again before hitting the gym. I think I always will work harder for a project than a machine.
PLANTING
I the bed closest to the shed I planted two varieties of pole beans that can be eaten green, canned, or dried, carrots, and sunflowers.
We're participating in a large community garden so I'm unsure of what to plant at home. I did buy a sweet red bell pepper and some celery. I may plant some lettuce, watermelon, and yellow squash.
Ground level beds;
We'd like to get some asparagus in this year but they're selling for around $8 a plant. I'd also like a rhubarb plant but that's another $10.
HERBS
On the side of my house I built another bed for herbs. I'm afraid anything from the mint family will just take over. I definitely want some German Chamomile. It's hard to find so I will plant it from seed. I was going to plant evening primrose too but it seems that you have to extract the oil from the seed to use it so, I think I'll pass on that one.
Basil is also looking good. I think I'd like to have some sweet basil. Rosemary doesn't winter over here so I would like to grow it in a pot indoors. It's supposed to be invigorating.
I'm trying to decide between lemon balm and lemon basil. Which is better for infusions and herbal teas?
DREAM
I would really like to grow concord grapes, elderberries, blueberries, and raspberries. They're very good for you. I would also like to grow huckleberries but I'm not sure if they've come up with a way to grow them in your garden yet.
I love berries more than vegetables.
Happy Planting!
No comments:
Post a Comment