Monday, April 26, 2010

"Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles"

Another film by the Zhang Yimou the director of "The Road Home."

I really enjoyed watching another of Zhang Yimou's films. It's a modern day story filled with deep and poetic meaning. The landscapes are breathtaking.

I decided to watch it in French w/English subtitles, which just seemed wrong somehow. I suggest you try Chinese. I loved how much of this story was shared through the thoughts of the main character. It seemed to reflect the alienation he felt from both his son and his foreign environment.

About the story...
A Japanese man, named Takata, is estranged from his son. When his son ends up in the hospital, Takata tries to see him, but is denied access by his son. The rest of the movie is about a journey he takes in the effort to do something, anything, for his son. I love the poetic nature of the film. The symbolism, depth, and beauty of the film cuts right to the heart. At the end of the film, I felt like I had just read a poignant haiku.

You definitely want a box of tissues for this one.

PG*****

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437447/

No comments: